A journey building drones and ROVs and other open hardware and Arduino based stuff
Now that the OpenROV Cockpit 1.0 beta has been released, and since I don’t envision diving in a lake before the temperature goes back above zero degrees Celsius, I decided to start, finally, building my Arducopter, that was sitting in the drawer since two years almost.
I started off with soldering the PDB, as I knew it would have been painful since I’m still getting experienced with soldering. And in fact I had to de-solder and re-solder a few times because I screwed some joints.
Jjust to get a taste of the assembly here is a quick rendering of the timelapse of that assembly part.
The most painful part was soldering the battery wires to the board, since they didn’t fit in the holes. Also I soldered the ESC cables directly to the board, as I couldn’t get the dean connectors to solder on it. But apparently mine was a pretty old kit, and lately soldering the ESC wires to the board became the recommended solution.
And at the end it didn’t come out too bad.
That step was a bit easier: no soldering involved, just some cable routing and screwdriver work. And again a quick rendering of the timelapse of that phase:
Here the final result with the 4 arms nicely aligned and ready for the next step.